Monday

Tour 2009



Our local garden club hosted their 2009 Christmas House Tour yesterday, December 13. Our home was one of four along with a local church that was included this year. The past few weeks we have been quite busy readying our home for all the excitement.
To capture it all, taking the recommendation of Pat from Back Porch Musings, (I am sure all of you have seen her lovely home and photography) I purchased a Canon G11. The day of the tour Pat and J stopped by and she most graciously took some pictures for us. Needless to say, I was so pleased she volunteered. So, most of the pictures I am sharing are taken by her and just a few by me. After Christmas, I want to really get into using the new camera.

Enough said, let's get on with the show.



Welcome to our home.



Our stairway is one of the most treasured items in our home. It is walnut and was taken from my great-grandparents home on our family farm. The home was built in 1863 by my great-grandfather. Prior to it being torn down, we salvaged the railing and spindles. Two of them are "well-aged" but we used them with just one left over. We could have had replicas made but it just would not have been the same.

On the stairway you can see my collection of Santas which our grandchildren just love.



On the railing I use a double lighted garland, poinsettias, amaryllises, green hydrangeas, and small white baby breath. Shiny gold ribbon accents each bouquet.

This picture looks from our living room into the foyer.


On the foyer table is a nativity I have had for years. The "Joy" tree sit in a cream ware pedestal bowel. A White Lenox plate and some ornaments complete the vignette. Under thable are two lanterns, gold ornaments, a wonderful story of the First Christmas, and a framed photo of my great-grandparents home just before it was torn down.


This is our large tree in our living room. I used some ornaments that have been with us for years. Some were my grandmother's and others, my great aunts.
Of course with small children, some are the "safe" kind that they can help with when we are decorating the tree each year.


Taking the advice of several bloggers and Laurie at All About Home, I joined my large glass ornaments in groups of three. It really does make a great statement and highlights my accent ornaments.




On this marble top chest, a family piece, I used large silver and gold tree candles and silver and gold ornaments in a glass container. In the sunlight, they really glisten.

Santa sits in snow in a glass cloche. Other pieces of the vignette are a white bottle brush tree and a red ornament in my antique glass jam server.

Another table holds this cloche with a gold and red nest and eggs, a gold ornament, and red glittered shreds that are used to fill gift bags.


This is my built in china cabinet in our dining room. I used votives an addition the the lighting that is in the cabinet. The crystal and silver pieces are family heirlooms that I treasure.


This Jim Shore piece was a gift from HD about five years ago.

I used 16 green bottle brush trees and silver ornaments as accents with the silver and glass.


This Lefton nativity was a gift from HD approximately 35 years ago. It has such gentle colors and detail.

Our mantle over our fireplace was a floor joist in one of the first log cabins in our area. It was given to us by a friend when we built our home in 1979. Lighted garland, ribbon, a variety of gold and red accents, red lighted trees, gold candle sticks, and these angels complete the fireplace.


I'll take you upstairs for a quick look at our three guest rooms.

This is called the Grandmother's Room. Its little blue tree was a perfect fit with white and light blue ornaments, snowflakes, and ribbon. The silver bed tray is awaiting guests. At the end of the bed is one of many quilts make by my grandmother. I love this room so much. I told HD we may just move up here from our bedroom on our main level.

I used old silver pieces as accents along with this hand carved Santa. In the bowl are antique ornaments from HD's family.

I got the Santa before the tree! Sorry but I don't know how to move my pictures around. Anyway, brown glittery deer, snowflakes, glitter Santas, and cream and brown ornaments are used on this tree in one of the guestrooms.




Here is the tree! Under it you will see a doll carriage that was my Mother's in 1921.

This white tree with its pink and green ornaments sits in what my grandchildren call, Nana's Office. We read lots of books and paint lots of pictures and talk about lots of life in this room.

This is just a taste of the tour but I hope to post our kitchen and a couple of tablescapes before the holidays are over.

Thanks for stopping by and have a Blessed Christmas.

Charla

35 comments:

Bethany at 3SonsPlus1 Crew said...

What a beautiful home you have! I was just going to start naming the things I love, but there are too many to remember- I love it all! So festive and bright! :)

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Charla, your post is beautiful.

We had a wonderful time seeing your gorgeous home and visiting with you. Everything was absolutely perfect!

Sandy said...

I'm coming from Pat@Back Porch Musings to see your Christmas Home Tour. Your home is lovely and the Christmas decorations are just beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us.

Teacup Lane (Sandy)

Blondie's Journal said...

Charla~~

What a lovely home you have and I just love all of your pretty Christmas decorations! Your family heirlooms are fabulous. I so enjoyed this post and can't wait to see your kitchen and dining room!

xoxo
Jane

Elizabeth (blue clear sky) said...

Hi Charla. I'm stopping by from Pat's blog. Your home is lovely and you have some really beautiful decorations. Your Christmas touches are beautiful in photos and must be stunning in real life. Thanks for sharing.

Carolyn said...

Your home is beautiful and I love all the treasures you have kept from your family and the way you used them to make your home special. Thanks for letting us visit.

Charlene said...

Charla,
Thank you for sharing your home with us. It is beautiful! That you have so many things belonging to your Grandparents is so special. I love the staircase! And I can see why your GRANDS love all those Santa's. I know it was a lot of work to host a Tour of Homes. Hope you will come by & visit me & see a few of my posts with Christmas galore. Merry Christmas.
Charlene

Anonymous said...

Hi I do the same thing with my Santas.

Susan
Wooster OH

xinex said...

Hi Charla! I came from Pat's. No wonder your home was chosen to be in the tour, it is absolutely lovely! I love all your Christmas ornaments, vignettes and cloches. You did a great job. I love how you decorated the stairs the best!...Christine

Dana and Daisy said...

Beautiful! And so many memories of all of them! I have an "office" like yours too, but my grand baby is too young to play with me in there yet, just six months old, but soon!

Merry Christmas!
Dana

Janean said...

everything is perfect!!!

Loui said...

Hi Charla..
I too came over from Pat's..
Your home is so STUNNING!
filled with such beautiful memories and heirlooms! So glad you shared with us!I especially liked the blue and white "grandmothers room".. the quilt was like the icing on the cake!finished it perfectly!
I'll be back to see the kitchen!
thanks for the warm invitation..
put the coffee on..
Hugs and smiles..
Loui♥

Brenda @Cozy Little House said...

What a lovely home you have! And being filled with memories of your family's homestead makes it priceless. I love the room with the blue and white, especially the quilt! I think I'd be happy to call that a master bedroom any time! Pat is very gracious, and one of the best photographers I know in Blogland.
Brenda

Trez said...

Everything looks so nice. Nativity scenes are my favorite because they remind us of the real reason for the season. I hope you and yours have a very Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year!

Katherine said...

Just lovely. Thank you for sharing. Your family pieces are wonderful and displayed very nicely. It's evident you worked hard putting it all together.

Queenmothermamaw said...

I, too, came from Pat's. Your home is stunning. I have about 50 santas in my collection. Don't get them all out anymore. I have offered them to my daughter and she has not gotten them yet. I have a Jim Shore angel just like yours. Our town had our home show this weekend too. I always love to go. Yes Pat is a great photographer. blessings
QMM

Charlene said...

Charla, I am sooooooooo glad you stopped by to visit. Of course it was OK for you to send the photo of the fireplace to your son. YES, the whole house was The Ultimate!!!! If he needs other views or a close up I would be glad to send you some more photos. I have a lot more I didn't post because I didn't want to bore everyone with tooooooooo many pictures of the same house but, it was unbelieveable. So glad you enjoyed it. As I said beforem, I love all your decor.

edie said...

Your home and Christmas decor are beautiful. You've been a busy lady!
love to you and yours,
edie

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What a beautiful home and decorations!! Thanks for sharing with us!

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Charla, You truly have a beautiful home. I loved seeing all your trees. I especially loved learning about the heirloom pieces you were able to salvage. What treasures. How sweet of Pat to swing over and take some pics for you . I too live "fairly" close to both of you.. ok so it's a few hours, but this day and age that's pretty close. lol Thanks for allowing us to come in gawk and admire. Thank you for swinging by and leaving such a sweet comment.. hugs ~lynne~

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Thank you for sharing your home with us! I followed the link from Pat's, and I've enjoyed seeing all of your pretty decorations and your lovely home. It just speaks Christmas.

XO,

Sheila :-)

suzyq said...

Charla, What a beautiful Christmas display - you have a beautiful home. Thanks for sharing. I also am coming fom Pat's.
Suzy

susan said...

Charla! I hope you have gotten a good rest by now...I know this was a tremendous amount of work! It is all beautiful, but I believe the bannister and the "grandmother room" are my favorites! Thanks for joining me for "Deck the Halls"!

Miss Janice said...

Hello, I'm stopping by from Pat's blog. Your Christmas decorations are just lovely! Thank you for allowing me to peek inside your home!

Room to Inspire said...

Your tree is beautiful. I love how "full" it is with all of the wonderful ornaments! Merry Christmas.

Chelsea

Melissa Miller said...

Charla your home looks gorgeous and so ready for Christmas! Your tree is stunning!

Love all of your amazing photos! I just received the Canon G11 for my Christmas gift as well. Isn't it wonderful? Love it!

Many blessings to you and yours this Holiday season! ~Melissa :)

Sarah said...

Beautiful home. Thank you for taking us along on the tour. I know your guests had a wonderful time visiting. ~ Sarah

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Your home is simply gorgeous! GORGEOUS!

Ldy ~~ Dy said...

You have a beautiful home and your decorations are so festive. Love the stairway Santas.

Shelia said...

I've so enjoyed the tour of your lovely home! Love seeing how you've decked your pretty halls!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Junebug said...

It was wonderful to visit your home. I was sent here by Pat at Back Porch Musings. Beautiful music was playing too. Bless you!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Stunningly beautiful....Your pictures are great. There are new tree pictures up on the holiday blog...and I am loving looking through all the beautiful decorations on the Home Tour...Just need a few free hours...
http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com/
http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

Oh your home is beautiful, and the Christmas decor is fabulous! I enjoyed getting to take the virtual holiday tour of your home. laurie

Totallyscrappy said...

I love the blue and silver tree in Grandma's room. Thanks for having me over. Stop by my place when you get a chance...

kanishk said...

What a beautiful home you have!
free classified india